How to keep perspective:
1. On Twitter, mention that I’ve seen Jack Reacher.
2. Discover that in response, TomCruise.com has retweeted and followed me.
3. Feel very pleased with myself.
4. Discover that when you mention Tom Cruise online, random strangers will write to you declaring (a) their undying love for him, (b) their undying hatred for him, (c) that they’re much better actors than he is, (d) that the thriller they’ve written is much better than Jack Reacher, and (e) that I should get them a job. Still, feel very pleased with myself.
5. Spend time browsing The Scale of the Universe. Rediscover where, exactly, I fit in the overall scheme of things.